Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Everything's Better at the Beach

Before I wax poetic, I must mention Anne's latest contest. Scoot over and talk patterns and get in on another of Anne's great prizes.


First, some sock love. It's kinda' ironic to be grinding out socks at the beach, where socks aren't much of a priority for me, but I was delighted to finish my second Tofutsie, after so very much ado. Isn't it pretty?! (There's no sun at the beach today. Sorry.) Mugsy's beach towel is a rather blah background, but the socks are colorful enough for everything.
DSCN0666 That takes us straight to Fred's Yarn in the Knight's socks. It's a low-maintenance pattern for a no-frills guy, the beaded rib from Sensational Socks. The second sock is well underway, and I hope to finish it tonight during House.
DSCN0670 The Knight earned another jewel for his shield again today. First stop: Knitting Addiction. Sigh. We're just going to have to come down here often enough to call it my LYS. Maybe beaches just have great yarn shops (Knitting Up a Storm, Myrtle Beach), or maybe there's just no LYS like a shop owned and operated by a female volunteer fire fighter. I wanted one of everything, but paced myself, a bit. DSCN0667 The first shot is of the wrap pattern I couldn't resist and the yarn Jeanne helped me me select for it. She wound everything almost without asking; a simple, "Here, I'll wind that while you continue shopping" began what I hope will be a real friendship.
DSCN0668 There were a couple of if they see it they'll know it is for them purchases, but here's the rest of my haul. I'm sure several of you recognize the Blue Sky Cotton. This color just called my name, and will most likely become Cass's eye pillow. My Bryspuns are my favorite straights, so I've always wanted to try the circs. If they are so wonderful, I'll be calling Jeanne; she does ship.
I'll be doing a "real" write-up for the LYS review blog in due time, but folks, if you're ever anywhere near the Outer Banks, North Carolina, stop in. I can't believe this shop is only a mile from my aunt's beach house, so I'm calling it my LYS, and it will be another reason to swing down this way as often as possible. While chatting with me about a mutual friend and winding my yarn, Jeanne greeted the regulars by name, and helped two other customers. I don't think any of us felt jilted; she easily and graciously multitasked as only a great woman can do.

14 comments:

Lapdog Creations said...

Sounds like you're having FUN!!!! shop, shop, shop!

Unknown said...

Oh Fred's socks look great. I'm really jealous and want that colorway! JB would love to have a pair!

Sounds like fun shopping too. I visited North Carolina last Fall and my family wouldn't let me visit a single yarn shop! They aren't as good as The Knight! You better keep him. g

vegasangelbrat said...

Oh Fred's socks look Fabulous!! Love how the colors are turning out!! I know those will be the knights favorite pair! Love the other pair too...pretty bright colors :)
Glad you guys are enjoying your time away...Miss you!!

NH Knitting Mama said...

I'm glad you are enjoying that yarn shop. Seems like you're having lousy weather, so all the more reason to enjoy your knitting!

Alana said...

I really like Fred's socks. That color is perfect! For the life of me I don't know how you get so many socks knit! I have yet to entirely complete one-- I'm beginning to think that socks are not going to be one of my strengths!!

Bubblesknits said...

Wow! You have gotten a lot of knitting done! The socks look great. Tell the Knight we want a pic of him modeling the finished pair. ;-p

Sharon said...

I hope you are relaxing!! I see you are getting some knitting done and some yarn shopping in

Devonshire said...

Your socks look fantastic as do the Knight's. I'm sure he will love and cherish them. What a find - an LYS owner that actually wants to help you and remembers your name (that is a novelty). Looks like you found some great finds. Beautiful yarn for both projects...

Donna said...

Great knitting and what fun socks. Don't you just love Knitting addiction. it took me two trips around the circle to find it-but I was not detered. I loved it. When I was there a gal was knitting at the couch and talked to me right away. I loved that beautiful throw they have hanging near the wall. The kit was $150.00-a little out of my price range but I was drooling. Bought her great patterns and hit her sale baskets. What fun. I am glad you enjoyed it too. You are right about LYS at the shore areas-they are always great!

Virtuous said...

I just love to hear about a good out of town LYS visit!!

But we had a good feeling it would be by looking at the website before you left! YAH!!

Anonymous said...

That is so crazy! I JUST chose that Aqua Blue Sky Cotton for myself on Monday!! Isn't it just gorgeous?! I couldn't resist! hehe

Anita said...

Ooooo, I want to go there!!! Loving the socks too, I have to get some of that Tofutsie yarn...
Heck, I live at the beach & can't get enough of knitting socks!! Perfect for wearing with sandles all winter here. :)

Deby said...

Your Summer Daze Socks look wonderful. So much like summer! Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

The socks look great! Sounds like you had a wonderful time with lots of knitting and knitting shopping. Sounds like the perfect vacation to me!